People Matter. The complexity of life itself is reason enough to show others dignity. But the soul of a person cannot flourish without dignity for very long.
Dignity is a complex term. It means more than respect. Its deeper than admiration. It is being worthy of something. But that something is often undefined.
To show others dignity it is important to remember the following:
- You must first show dignity to yourself. You are beautiful inside and out. In the infinite combinations of genetics and circumstances, there is only one you. You add something to this world that no one else does. Celebrate it.
- Celebrate others. Other people are beautiful inside and out. In the infinite combinations of genetics and circumstances, there is only one of them. They add something to this world that no one else does.
- Reflect their passion. What lights someone up when they talk about it? When they see it? When they hear it? Get them to express that and reflect the awe you see in them. This too should be celebrated.
- Honor their values. There are so many things in each person that aren’t beautiful. If we aren’t careful they will over shadow the things that are. What someone values is beautiful to them. It may not be to you. Not honoring their values will do harm to them. Perhaps they need new values. But dishonoring those values will make them cling tighter to what they have if they don’t have something else to hold onto.
- Show wonder in life itself. The world can be a dark place at times. We see violence, greed, sickness, pain, depression, and anxiety. We wonder why these things happen. But what we should wonder at is peace, generosity, health, wholeness, joy, and well being. How do these things exist in our world? How is God’s grace working in this world to let the light shine through the darkest parts of it. And how can we as mere humans work together to magnify that light for all the world to see?